Spiced Almond Cocktail TNP Originals30 Aprile 2015
Step Inside a Layered Family Home With Character1 Maggio 2015
For some reason, waffles always remind me of vacation. Maybe it’s because I associate them with hotels where you can make your own waffles for breakfast. So when I make them at home, it always feels like a special occasion.
These waffles would be perfect for a holiday or celebration, or any time you want breakfast to feel a little noteworthy. They are amazing topped with Cream Cheese Drizzle (recipe follows), but I also love them with just a drizzle of maple syrup.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 4 tablespoons (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon red liquid food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 200° F and preheat a waffle iron. Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to combine.
- Combine the melted butter and brown sugar in a separate large bowl. Whisk in the egg
yolks and buttermilk. Mix the cocoa powder and red food coloring in a small bowl to make a smooth paste, then whisk the paste into the butter mixture. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened (the batter should be slightly lumpy).
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir one-quarter of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it. Then fold in the remaining egg whites gently but thoroughly.
- Spray a waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray or brush with melted butter. Cook the waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions. As they’re done, put them on a baking sheet and slide them into the oven to keep them warm while you cook the remaining waffles.
Cream Cheese Drizzle
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of table salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
To make the cream cheese drizzle: Beat the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt in a bowl. Beat in enough milk to make a pourable mixture.